The other day I picked up a jar of roasted red bell peppers at the store and was wondering what to use it in when I thought about hummus. The hubby and I love the traditional hummus made with chickpeas, tahini, olive oil and a hint of garlic; another reason why we frequent Mediterranean restaurants, the first being for falafels. Roasted Red pepper hummus has the same ingredients with a few additions and the flavor of roasted bell pepper comes through nicely. I had jalapenos on hand hence threw them in, and the onions as well.
You will need:
1 (8oz) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 large green Jalapeno, finely chopped (see note below)
2 large cloves of Garlic, minced
1 cup chopped, roasted red bell peppers (from a jar, patted dry)
½ red onion chopped
¼ cup olive oil
1 tsp toasted white sesame seeds, finely ground
Salt to taste
Note: If you don’t want any heat from the jalapeno, remove the veins and seeds. We like our hummus with a kick so I used the whole jalapeno, veins et al.
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until almost smooth. Check for salt and add more if required. Transfer to a bowl, top with a tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of the ground sesame seeds.
Serve with Pita bread or Tortilla chips. We had ours with Black bean and Roasted Garlic Tortilla chips…absolutely finger licking good! :)
I had submitted two of my cakes to Priya’s Crazy for Cakes Event and the Cricket theme cake was awarded the Best Decorated Cake Award in the decorated cakes category along with two other winners :)
And Roopashri of Putti Prapancha thought I deserved the Versatile Blogger Award…thanks Roopashri, much appreciated :)
The rules of this award:
1. Thank the person who gave you this award, follow their blog and link back to their blog in your post.
2. Tell 7 random facts about yourself.
3. Pass the award to as many bloggers as you like.
7 Random Facts about me:
- I am a very organized person, all about lists and plans and everything in place well ahead of time.
- Cake decorating is very therapeutic and relaxing for me. I can decorate all day and still be ready to take on more. There is nothing that I am more passionate about.
- Roaches scare the hell out of me…. I’ll yell and scream and bring the roof down.
- I enjoy watching movies, romantic, comedy, family movies - except horror.
- I am a shopaholic…well who isn’t! :D I love to accessorize so I have a lot of matching jewelry, watches, handbags, shoes…
- I enjoy writing poetry - emotions, situations and nature are my top inspirations.
- I am a night owl - can stay up long hours and not so much of an early riser unless absolutely necessary ;)
Nags of Edible Garden - has a flair for writing, her scrumptious food pics will have you drooling. Love her eye for detail in everything.
Madhavi of Vegetarian Medley - who has excellent food presentation skills with unique recipes which will make you grab a fork alright! A great mom too.
Shankari of Sacramento Spice - whose passion for cooking is in her way of imparting it to others. A wonderful person.